On July 8, 2020, Bill 161, Smarter and Stronger Justice Act, 2020, was given royal assent in Ontario and is currently awaiting Proclamation into force. The amendments represent the most significant changes to the class action regime in Ontario since the adoption of the Class Proceedings Act, 1992.
Here is a roundup of recent articles and law firm publications discussing these changes:
- Bill 161: What the future holds for Ontario class actions, Clyde & Co.
- Significant changes to Ontario’s class action landscape, The Lawyer’s Daily.
- Bill 161 Is Now Law – Ontario Government Enacts Major Changes to Class Proceedings Act, Faskens.
- Changes to Ontario’s Class Action Regime: Bill 161 Receives Royal Assent, Stikeman Elliott.
- Three Legislative Changes Impacting Class Actions, Aird & Berlis.
- Major Changes to Ontario’s Class Proceedings Act, Gowling WLG.
- Ontario passes significant amendments to Class Proceedings Act, Norton Rose Fulbright.